1. Working registration is tending bar without the alcohol. People loiter at the registration table, they tell you things that are on their mind, and they visit you regularly and expect to see a smiling face greeting them.
2. An event planner is comprised of four sub-professions: interior decorator, circus juggler, firefighter, and actor/actress.
4. Hundreds of event details go unseen to the everyday eye.
5. Linens are the distant cousin of that sock that disappears in the dryer. No matter how many times you count them, at least one will vanish.
6. Nothing can prepare you for a job as an event planner. I learn something new from my profession everyday.
7. Sometimes, having a breath mint handy goes further with a keynote speaker than having a printed agenda available.
8. Newton’s law applies: for every celebrity you meet, there is an equally impressive mess waiting for you in the green room.
9. Event planners regularly sample delicious cuisine from some of the best chefs in the world.
10. Event planners love their jobs.
Lindsay Krause is a meeting and event manager with Special D Events, Inc. in Royal Oak, MI. For more information, visit www.specialdevents.com.