“Our objective with the new MPI Academy is to centralize all of our educational programs and bring focus to the diverse career tracks available,” said Paul Van Deventer, president and CEO of MPI. “As we refine the way we deliver both our proprietary and partner offerings, we believe the academy will soon become the most reputable and valued source for growing one’s knowledge base and advancing one’s career.”
New and Expanded Programming
Earlier this year, MPI began launching new education programs and has more planned in the coming months – most of which are eligible for clock hours and are designed for both planners and suppliers. Recently launched programs include the following and the latter two were offered as pre-conference sessions prior to WEC 2015.
- Meeting Essentials – Designed for novice and mid-level professionals, this program will help participants enhance their skills and competencies. The courses cover fundamental knowledge needed to execute and deliver high-quality, relevant meetings, and are recommended in preparation for the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) exam.
- Sustainable Meeting Professional Certificate (SMPC) – This intensive certificate course provides education, tools and applicable instruction to immediately begin practicing sustainable meeting planning. It is built around learning and using the Sustainable Meeting Planning Program® (SMPP®), which is the only sustainable meeting planning tool independently certified by iCompli Sustainability, a division of BPA Worldwide, the premier sustainable meeting planning audit firm in the U.S. for ISO 20121 and APEX/ASTM compliance. MPI delivers the program in partnership with Avila Government Services, Inc.
- Meetings and Events at Sea Certificate – Presented in partnership with the Cruise Line International Association (CLIA), the certificate course explores the advantages of hosting events on cruise ships compared to traditional venues. This interactive session highlights which types of meetings or events should be conducted onboard as well as provides valuable cost comparisons.
New programs slated for release later this year include the following.
- Experiential Event Series – MPI is partnering with high-profile events in key areas such as sports, entertainment, culinary and mega-events to provide unique, intimate education experiences, including behind the scenes tours and discussions. These programs will include certificates in areas like event production and sports event management. The first two events include the production of the Miss America Pageant in Atlantic City this September and the Epcot Food & Wine Festival in Orlando in November.
- Sustainable Practitioner Certificate (SPC) – The SPC Program is an interactive training session designed for individuals wishing to focus on sustainability within the meeting and event industry and covers the basics of sustainability, how to create a sustainability policy, measurement, reporting and more. MPI is partnering with Positive Impact, a UK-based not-for-profit corporation, to deliver the courses. Class dates will be published online soon.
- Healthcare Meeting Compliance Certificate (HMCC) Refresher – Launching in October, this webinar has been developed to keep MPI’s HMCC recipients abreast of constantly changing healthcare meeting compliance regulations, cross-border compliance, and other healthcare trends. It is endorsed by Saint Louis University and is required every two years to maintain the HMCC and related seal of endorsement.
- CMP-Healthcare Certification (CMP-HC) Boot Camp – This MPI training is intended for meeting professionals working within the life sciences sector and will commence in Fall 2015. It serves as a comprehensive, study preparation course for the CMP Healthcare Certification exam and will utilize an instructional design program that includes an implementation guide, instructor notes, participant workbook and an app.
“We have put a lot of thought and effort into strengthening our professional development offerings and look forward to expanding the depth and reach of the new MPI Academy as we continue to evolve and transform our association,” added Van Deventer.
For more information about the MPI Academy and its suite of educational offerings including the new MPI Professional Development Roadmap, visit www.mpiweb.org/ProfessionalDevelopment.