by Terry Matthews-Lombardo, CMP
- Put a focus group together composed of enthusiastic past attendees and get them to brainstorm with you about all sorts of great ideas and possibilities.
- Pick a theme color and run ‘all over’ with it including food, lighting, gifts, printing, design art and other conference elements that otherwise would be dull and drab.
- Work the meeting backwards, meaning think of desired outcomes and figure out how to achieve them. Remember to include all shareholders such as exhibitors, sponsors, attendees, staff and invited guests as each group has different objectives and needs.
- During your conference, hold at least one meeting session outdoors or standing up or while walking and talking. Get creative with the venue’s environment and your attendees’ energy!
- Print only first names on all name tags and do it IN LARGE PRINT.
- Have a ‘thinking-outside-the-box’ suggestion box at your next event and make sure to have fun pen and paper handy for people to provide ideas the old fashioned way.