by Stanley Turkel
The Eldridge Hotel, (1855),
Lawrence, Kansas (48 rooms)
The following historical marker was erected on April 4, 1940 by the Lawrence Rotary Club:
“This marks the site of the Free State Hotel erected in 1855 by the New England Emigrant Aid Society. Destroyed by Sheriff Jones and his posse May 21, 1856, and rebuilt by Col. Schaler W. Eldridge. Quantrill and his raiders destroyed Lawrence August 21, 1863, burned the hotel and massacred the citizens. Col. Eldridge restored the hotel which stood until 1926 when it was rebuilt by W.G. Hutson.”
Read more about the history of The Eldridge Hotel at Hotel Online News.