The GCCC celebration included:
- Social media postings about the exhibitions/events industry
- Industry partners joining GCCC staff for a group photo
- A message appearing on the LED Art Wall and exterior marquee supporting #Exhibitions Day
- A message shared with staff members about the importance of #Exhibitions Day
“The hundreds of events hosted annually by the award-winning GCCC generate a notable economic impact in the local hospitality community, including the Arena District, Short North Arts District, hotels, restaurants and attractions,” said Greater Columbus Convention Center General Manager John R. Page. “We are proud to join the #Exhibitions Day celebration.”
Facts shared by the International Association of Exhibitions and Events and Experience Columbus show the impact of the industry in 2018 alone:
- $97 billion contributed to the United States Gross National Product
- 33.2 million attendees at U.S. exhibitions
- 9,400 business-to-business events annually
- 95 business-to-business exhibitions with 1.3 million attendees in Ohio
- 1 in 12 jobs in Columbus can be attributed to the hospitality industry and exhibitions, travel and tourism.
This special day of observance was established to recognize and promote an industry producing thousands of exhibitions annually throughout the United States.
Established in 2011, Exhibitions Mean Business was created to unify and give a collective voice to the exhibitions and events industry and increase advocacy for face-to-face meetings to help increase business growth and economic development.
The Greater Columbus Convention Center is located in downtown Columbus and owned by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority and managed by SMG. The $140 million expansion and renovation of the facility was completed in July 2017.
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to 243 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theaters, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers and a variety of other venues. With facilities across the globe, SMG manages more than 19 million square feet of exhibition space and more than 1.5 million sports and entertainment seats. As the recognized global industry leader, SMG provides venue management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services for such landmark facilities as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Houston’s NRG Park and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans. SMG also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions and catering companies, currently serving more than 140 accounts worldwide.
Visit www.columbusconventions.com and www.smgworld.com for more information.