Mansfield visitors and residents who are not Studebaker Club members are invited to the Saturday, Sept. 14 public Studebaker Car Show. For a nominal gate fee of $10 (free to those 15 and younger), the public will enjoy full access to check out all of the cars, exhibits and parts vendors. Some 400 cars are expected, including original, restored, modified and modern cars, as well as larger, commercial-style Studebaker trucks, which were produced in the U.S. until 1963 and in Ontario, CA until 1966.
Adding to the rarity of this event, custom-built battery-powered coaches dubbed “Tommy and Peg” will be together for the first time in more than 80 years. Starting in 1909, the two vehicles were used in the Capitol to transport U.S. Senators and Representatives in the 760-foot underground tunnel connecting the Russell Senate Office Building with the Capitol.
“We are honored to welcome the Studebaker Drivers Club International to the Mansfield area,” said Destination Mansfield – Richland County President Lee Tasseff. “Beyond the economic impact the 1,300-plus Studebaker Club members will bring to our area, we appreciate the attention and prestige an international event such as this brings to our region.”
Tasseff pointed to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and the region’s many other motorsports offerings as contributing to Mansfield’s incredible popularity with auto and motorsports enthusiasts.
“We look forward to showcasing our world-class motorsports facilities and attractions as we welcome this and other such events to our community. It will be a treat to see hundreds of these historic cars cruising the streets of Mansfield.”
Detailed information on the meet, the history and the car show is found at sdcmeet.com, while affordable Studebaker Club membership is available at studebakerdriversclub.com and theantiquestudebakerclub.com. Complete traveler information and free visitor guides are available at DestinationMansfield.com or by calling (800) 642-8282.
In 1835, John Clement Studebaker moved from the Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, area with his three sons, Henry, Clement and John Mohler. The Studebaker family built a home and blacksmith shop on US 250 in Ashland, Ohio, where a historical marker now stands. The family moved from Ohio to South Bend, Indiana, and the two oldest brothers, Henry and Clement, opened the H&C Blacksmiths shop in 1852. Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company was formed in the mid 1870’s and produced horse-drawn buggies through WWI. Studebaker produced its first gas-powered car in 1902 with the Garford. Throughout its history, the Studebaker Company produced horse drawn, electric and gas-powered cars, the only company to produce all these types. Later they produced cars, buses, trucks of all sizes and military vehicles. U.S. production ended in 1963 with the closing of the South Bend plant and two years later, production ended in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
The Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) was founded on August 6, 1962 by the late Harry Barnes with the goal of honoring the Studebaker automobile and related products. With more than 11,500 members, there are more than 100 chartered local chapters around the world.
A destination unlike any other, Mansfield and Richland County, Ohio offers unusual travel adventures and experiences, such as spending the night in a haunted former state prison where Hollywood blockbuster movies are shot, world-class motorsports, skiing, hiking, biking, golf, and loads of other outdoor adventures attract familiesand visitors of all ages. Complete visitor information and free visitor guides are available at DestinationMansfield.com or by calling (800) 642-8282.