Midwest hotels offer allergy conscious accommodations
Traveling to meetings, events, and conferences is usually an exciting time for everyone involved, unless you are prone to allergies, or happen to experience a new allergy in a new location. In the 21st century, more and more hotels, including some located in the Midwest, have opted to offer or enhance their allergy-friendly offerings, however, no two are exactly alike.
As a traveler, or planner bringing in diverse attendees, you will want to know exactly what a hotel offers. One of the easiest ways to assess a venue’s allergy-friendliness is to utilize the PURE Wellness searchable directory, a listing of hotels which meet PURE standards. (www.Booking.PureRoom.com/Hotel/Search)
PURE-approved hotels follow a seven-step purification system to treat every surface, including the air, removing up to 99.99% of pollutants and allergens; from air purification to deep cleaning of carpets and allergy-friendly bedding to specified upholsteries. PURE-certified properties can be found among multiple hotel chains located in the Midwest; Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, and Wyndham. PURE guestrooms require a room upgrade in most cases, however, the assurance of a good night’s sleep when you are prone to allergies is often priceless.
You may not always be close to a PURE-approved venue. In these cases, it doesn’t mean an allergy-friendly room isn’t out there, it just means you will need to do a little more research to make sure you understand the venue’s definition of ‘allergy-friendly.’
Some questions to ask:
- Are air purifiers used? An air purifier, whether in an individual room or integrated in the entire hotel HVAC system, will help remove dust and potential allergens.
- Is there smoking in the hotel? Your best bet is to look for smoke-free hotels. If you get a non-smoking room within a hotel which allows smoking in other rooms, the smoke could potentially get to your room through the HVAC system.
- Are pets allowed in the hotel? If pets are allowed in rooms, they can leave behind dander and odors, causing problems for allergic guests.
- How are the rooms cleaned? Deep, steam cleaning and HEPA vacuum cleaners are a great help in warding off allergens.
- What kind of bedding is used? Look for natural and synthetic fibers and hypoallergenic coverings.
PURE-certified locations in the Midwest:
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Naperville
- Hilton Chicago/ Oak Brook Suites
- Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria Riverfront Hotel & Conference Center
- Fairmont Chicago Millenium Park
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace
- Jumer’s Casino & Hotel
- Red Roof PLUS+ Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield Mall, Hoffman Estates
- Hyatt Lodge at McDonald’s Campus
- Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel
- Hampton Inn Evansville
- Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Tipton Lakes
- Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington
- Residence Inn by Marriott Evansville East
- Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center
- Courtyard Wichita at Old Town
- Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
- The Westin Southfield Detroit
- Hilton Minneapolis - Downtown
- Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
- Sheraton Minnetonka/Minneapolis West Hotel
- Omaha Marriott
- Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus-Easton Area
- InterContinental Cleveland
- Residence Inn by Marriott Cleveland Mentor
- Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells